Sunday, March 26, 2017

Baseball Milquetoast

Baseball Milquetoast

I'm not exactly sure what this means...but I am sure that the Baseball Milquetoast Blog is a definite read for  cap collectors.

I have been reading this blog for a long time and decided to reach out to the author to see if he would be interested in a little interview.

Here is what I learned:

What do you consider to be your most prized caps? 
For me, this has to be broken down into two categories: the first category is "what cap is so old and/or rare that finding it is a near impossibility." The other part to that is, "why is that cap something that you want in the first place?"

The second category is "what cap maybe isn't so rare but it has a major significance to you?"

As for the first category, I'd have to say the most significant cap that I own is the Charleston Rainbows cap. I am pro-equality in all aspects and I love that the Charleston RiverDogs players wear the throwback Rainbows uniforms on Pride night.

The second category is a bit easier for me to explain. The cap for that is the New York Yankees 2007 All-Star Game cap. I was living in the San Francisco Bay Area in 2007 when the Giants hosted the All-Star Game and it was the first time I ever lived in a city that was hosting the Mid-Summer Classic.

At any rate, I really wanted to go to the game but I wasn't about to shell out that kind of money for tickets so I skipped it. My cap addiction wasn't as out of control in 2007 as it was in other years but even still, I never picked up the All-Star Game cap as I didn't think patch caps were that cool until I moved to New York City in 2010.

It was then that I began to appreciate the significance of the cap patch because the Yankees had a few gems 2009 when they won the World Series and the year before when they hosted the 2008 All Star Game.



Do you have a main rotation that you wear on a regular basis?

When you have an uncontrollable amount of caps, it's important to spread them out so that none feel neglected. For that reason, I try to keep the selections seasonal in that during October and November, I'll either wear a Giants World Series Cap or my Scottsdale Scorpions cap.

In late June and through the All-Star break, I wear the All-Star Game hats when I can, especially to Yankees games.

The most special of all seasonal caps is my New York Yankees 2008 "Virginia Tech Game" cap. Check the link for the backstory on that one; I love wearing it to Yankees games in April because of the significance of that cap carries.



Favorite manufacturer/seller?  (New Era, Wilson, Sports Specialties, or other?)

New Era was my first love but I do miss that the caps are no longer Made in U.S.A. Hopefully they can go back to that because that was a strong selling point for me.

I've got lots of caps from Ebbets Field Flannels and they're all Made in U.S.A. which I appreciate plus their craftsmanship is top-notch.



What is your opinion of New Era putting the flag on the side of the cap in 2017?

I think the consensus there is that it's a bunk move but I look at this is a clear defining moment in cap collecting. When New Era decided to go with black underbrims and 100% polyester caps in 2007, the cap collecting community was ablaze with hot takes.

People either angry at the change or they welcomed the fact that they could wear these new caps without worrying their underbrims and sweatbands would stink and that the crown would shrink.

I have to admit it was a lot of fun going in to hat shops and buying up all of the grey underbrim inventory because I was worried that these new polyester caps were going to be trash. A benefit of the 2007 change for vintage cap collectors is that now we know we're looking at a cap that is "vintage" if the sweatband tags and underbrim match the proper specifications.

I have all the MLB caps that I need but I am a sucker for the Turn Back the Clock caps so I really hope the New Era flag doesn't make it onto those releases. If they do, then we've always got Ebbets!



Did you notice that the trend in MILB caps is to get away from parent club affiliation and very cartoonish to the point of silly?

I'm from a minor league town so I personally have no problem with that aspect of MILB caps. I really love the re-branding work that Brandiose has done over the past few years and I hope that they continue to grow creatively and inspire their peers to do the same.

Now if EVERY team has a cartoon duck or cannoli as its logo then we have a problem. Otherwise, game on!



Any caps that you are on the lookout for but not able to find?

I realize I just said I'm cool with some of the more "out-there" MILB logos but I definitely do appreciate how some of the farm clubs used to incorporate their parent team's logo in order to create something that was uniquely their own. One example that comes to mind are some of the Midland Angels hats that I've written about in the past.

While I have been able to secure the Midland Angels cap a few times, there is one cap that has escaped me for the longest time: the Jacksonville Expos. Here's a photo of Randy Johnson (that's the large version, just like Randy himself, in case you want it) when he was on that team:




I did find a guy who had one but he wasn't willing to part with it. I know I'll come across it one of these days but man I sure was disappointed when we couldn't strike a deal on it. Oh well!



What was your favorite post from my blog?



Well, the one that brought me to your blog I'd say is the one that speaks to me most: the Montreal Expos 1994 "World Series" hat. I love that hat and that it represents "what could have been" so I was really glad that you wrote about it!

What is your profession?
My profession? I'm a professional cap collector; what do you think?!? Actually, that's what my wife jokingly accuses me of but all kidding aside, during the day I'm a SharePoint administrator and developer.

That question actually kinda brings us back to reality nicely. I really did believe for a second there that I was a professional cap collector!

There is  a link on my page for Baseball Milquetoast for a reason.  Very informative and an entertaining read.  Check it out at http://www.baseballmilquetoast.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment