Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Ray Kroc

Michael Keaton as Ray Kroc in The Founder.

My wife will rarely agree to go to a movie.

I was thrilled when she agreed to see The Founder.

I was disappointed that the movie did not touch upon Ray Kroc's years as owner of the San Diego Padres.

I was even more disappointed with what I learned about Ray Kroc.


What did I know about Ray before I saw this movie?

On April 9, 1974, in his first year as owner of the team, and after the first home game of the season, Ray usurped the public address system and berated his San Diego Padres before the Padres batted in the 9th inning.

  Here are a few of his comments:

"Ladies and Gentleman, I suffer with you."

"The bad news is that this is the saddest ballplaying I have ever seen."

The fans erupted with cheers....the players, well, not so much.

Which leads me to this cap which I picked up many years ago....

1982 Padres give away to celebrate Ray's 80th birthday.

I rarely buy a snapback cap, but after I learned about the tirade in 1974 I couldn't pass it up.

Check out the movie, you will like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment