Saturday, July 2, 2016

The Most American of Holidays

     For me, there is no better holiday than the 4th of July.  When I was much younger,  it meant a neighborhood picnic that lasted all day. 

     Adults would join in the wiffle ball games,  hot dogs and marshmallows were roasted on an open fire, and fireworks marked the conclusion of a wonderful day.
  
      Now that I am older, and no longer live in "Mayberry", I enjoy some new July 4th traditions. 

     My wife, mother-in-law (I have the world's best), and I will usually watch a documentary about  The Declaration of Independence or the feature film Gettysburg. 



"Another season in the sun"


       Young or old and regardless of where I have lived, the 4th of July Major League Baseball games have an identity all their own. 

       It's kind of the most important game of the season after opening day and the playoffs.  Baseball, Apple Pie, and Chevrolet.

        In 2008, New Era designed special edition caps for the players that are only worn on July 4th and are known as Stars and Stripes caps.

       This article will document the years and the different styles. 

       I reached out to Jim Wannemacher, Senior Brand Historian at  New Era, for some information.





2016 New Era Stars and Stripes Cap (St. Louis)


       I learned that  New Era's designers, not MLB Properties, design the caps that the players wear on the field for the 4th of July. 

       For 2016, the focus was  to amp up the design of the Stars and Stripes program by bringing in the star pattern.

      MLB Properties is then consulted for their input and approval.

     A  lot of research is conducted on what is trending in the fashion and design world.

     New Era typically has  two or three very different takes on one possibility or idea.

     Through a group review session, makes tweaks based on many different perimeters. From there they develop a product with a hope that everyone will like.



2008




      In 2008, every team wore a navy blue cap with stars and stripes inside the logo.

      I tried to feature some of the harder to find teams and especially the Blue Jays (notice the inside of their logo?) and the Indians.

      I find myself staring at the Indians cap wondering if it is appropriate or symbolic in some way.  I have seen the Indians cap sell for more than a hundred dollars multiple times. 

    
Most importantly to me, the 2008 S&S caps were made in the USA.

2009





      In 2009, both leagues wore an all red cap, with the stars and stripes inside the logo.  Toronto and Cleveland  continues to be highly sought after by collectors. 

     This version was made in the USA, had a white cloth sweatband, and a blue undervisor.  The Indians cap usually sells for around a hundred on Ebay.

2010   
        

            In 2010, New Era decided to go with an all white cap for both leagues. These are probably my least favorite of all time, but I understand the red, blue, white theme.

         I will never wear an all white cap because they get dirty too easily, but there is something more disturbing. 

As soon as I tried one of these on, the crown was ridiculously high and I knew that they were made in China.   ** There was some USA production. 

           Any New Era cap made in China is not wearable (to me and many nerds like me) because of the high crown. 

          And it bothers me that the 4th of July caps are made in China when New Era has factories in the USA.


    2011


      2011 brought a bi panel cap to the fold, but  retail caps continued to be made in China with some USA production.

      Notice that Toronto has the Canadian flag on the inside of the logo.  From left to right:  Pirates, Dodgers, Blue Jays, and Mets.


  2012
                                                          








           In 2012, New Era used the regular edition of the on-field cap but raised the logo and inserted "digital" camouflage. 

          Oh yeah, caps  for retail were made in China.


                                                                                2013




 New Era brings the Diamond Era line to Stars and stripes.  Road teams had a grey crown while home teams had white.

 The brim varies between blue or red.  Black undervisor and made in the USA of imported fabric.




                                 2014



     The Diamond Era line continues and every team has their logo over a single star.

     I was very happy with the grey undervisor and the wearable crown that was made in the USA!  I really like these models.


           


     


                                  2015



Diamond Era with a grey undervisor. Teams were either red or blue but all had a US flag in the background.

Is it just me or does the flag resemble the New Era logo.....hmmm?  Made in the China for retai

No comments:

Post a Comment