Saturday, July 2, 2016

The inkblot test with baseball caps






     In 1921 a psychiatrist from Switzerland, Hermann Rorschach, developed a personality test.

     The concept was to show the participants ambiguous inkblots and evaluate their responses.  I'm going to change the experiment
.
     Instead of showing inkblots, I'm going to use baseball caps.

     The first participant will be?   Since my wife refused..... it will be me.  My responses are the first words that come to my mind when I see the cap and logo.


#1                                                                                
                                                                                     
My response:    Orioles     Highlanders     New York City Yankees


Explanation: Many years ago on a tour of Camden Yards, I learned that the Yankees were not a charter member of the American League (1901). 

     They began as the Baltimore Orioles in 1901 and the franchise moved to New York in 1903 and were known as the New York Highlanders.


They were renamed Yankees in 1912.

I think of New York City Yankees when I see this cap as a result of my trip to Cuba in 2009. 

     On this trip, I took a dozen or so caps of the Phillies, Nationals, and Yankees as gifts for my host families. 

When I let someone pick one of the caps, they would pick the "NewYork City Yankees." 


#2
My response:   Walgreens     Expos      Puerto Rico


Explanation:   The comparison to the Walgreens logo is simply too obvious.  Can you spot the difference? 


It is ever so subtle.  When I wear this cap and am asked if I am from D.C. or a Nationals fan, I like to reply with, "No I'm not, I work at Walgreens." 

I think of the Montreal Expos because they are the original franchise (born in 1969) that relocated and became the Nationals in 2005. 

Puerto Rico? I always think of this as the Expos played twenty-two home games there during the 2003 season.





#3
                                                                                

              
My response:   Fired!     Tony the Tiger       AJD

Explanation:   In 1988, the Baltimore Orioles started the season with an 0-21 record before winning their first game. 

     I will never forget reading star player Fred Lynn's post game rant that went something like this:

  "Look at that stupid bird that we wear, nobody can take you seriously with that on your head." 

     The Orioles would finish the year at 54-107 and Cal Ripken Sr. was fired during the year. 

  The cartoon bird logo was fired after the year.  He would not return on any cap until 2012. 

The cartoon bird logo was created in 1965 by  a Hollywood based animation studio named Quartet Films.

 Quartet Films was very successful in their more recent television campaign where they created and launched Tony the Tiger to sell cereal.

In 1976, a little know cap company (AJD) would be the official supplier for the Orioles. 

This would be AJD's only MLB customer.  Their version of the logo is very distinctive.


 




#4
                                                                                   


My Response:   Dr. Dre      Skeletor       Chicago politics

This cap debuted in 1990 for the Sox and took off in popularity because of  Dr. Dre.  I wore this cap during the early 90's because it was such an upgrade from this:



White Sox on-field cap from 1987-89


As for the Skeletor reference?  Doesn't anyone else see the hanging bones that are used to spell out Sox?





Chicago Politics?


I will not say if I like or dislike him because I don't want some viewers to stop reading my blog!


If you would like to take the Ball cap personality test, send me an email!  This could be good....

No comments:

Post a Comment