Sunday, February 11, 2018

My recent trip to the Hall of Fame

I was pestering and pestering the Baseball Hall of Fame to let me take some pictures of the baseball caps that are not on display.

After a few months and submitting my area of focus, permission was granted.

I wanted to learn what companies were making the AAGPBL caps and caps worn by players from the Negro Leagues.


Here is the first set of pictures:


1946 Rockford Peaches worn by Betty Yahr

You have to look closely, but the cap has the Wilson Manufacturing writing on the sweatband.



1953 Grand Rapids Chicks worn by Renae Youngberg.


Unable to identify the company that made the cap, but you should be able to see the elastic stretch fit.

The Hall of Fame has records that indicate other caps from the AAGPBL that have a stretch fit were made by Kennan Sports.


Birmingham worn between 1930-1940.

I was unable to determine a manufacturer for this cap.

1920 Chicago American Giants worn by Dave Malarcher.


I could not find a visible tag or stamp to determine the manufacturer.


1934-50  Homestead Greys worn by Buck Leonard.

If you look closely, you can see the Wilson stamp in the sweatband.

1940's Kansas City Royals worn by Chet Brewer.

Notice the three lines of stitching on the underbrim?  No idea what company made this cap.

In future blog posts, I will detail the other caps I was able to photograph. These include caps that were made before 1950.

No comments:

Post a Comment