Sunday, September 11, 2016

They Called Me God

While I was right in the middle of reading this book......

this little gem appeared  on Ebay.

1976 National League Championship Series cap worn by Doug Harvey.

I didn't hesitate.

Oh, would my wife be mad!  $$$


Let me tell you about the book first: 

  Doug Harvey umpired in MLB from 1962-92.   The title of the book came from a rain delay involving the Padres. "God walks on water."

Harvey's frankness makes this a great read, he doesn't hold back and I was very surprised to learn about his interactions with well known players.

Reading this book changed the way I watch ball games.

As for the cap:

In the 1976 NLCS, the Reds would sweep the Phillies in three games.

They would go on to sweep the Yankees (4-0) and win the World Series.

The pillbox cap was worn by umpires to celebrate the National League's 100 year anniversary for only the NLCS.

The pillbox is a style of cap that cycles in popularity and is more of a throwback to a different time

As is Doug Harvey.

The cap has become one of my favorites and I feel the same about the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment