Sunday, December 10, 2017

ask the captain 4


Question
I have been dating my girlfriend for two years and ended the relationship after realizing that despite our fondness for each other, we would just not be able to reside together.

Towards the end of our relationship, I gave her father a rare Phillies baseball cap, which she never gave to her father. 

After the breakup, I asked for the cap back, and she declined, saying that I had broken her heart.  In the meantime, I asked three or four female friends whether they thought it was OK to ask for the cap back and whether they thought she should return it.  All said yes.

Having had some unexpected expenses-mother's day caps, new minor league promo caps, and a new tattoo,- as well as my ex now dating my roommate- I emailed her and asked for the cap back.

Once again, her response was that I had broken her heart and her response was that she was not going to return the cap.

Is it acceptable to ask for and expect the cap to be returned?


The Captain's response

Proper etiquette holds that it is proper to return the cap after the relationship ends, since she had not yet given it to her father. 

However, this situation seems beyond the realm of etiquette and there are clearly some very hurt feelings here.  Your ex is holding on to resentment even tighter than she is holding on to the cap.

You have a couple of options when it comes to having the cap returned.  You might have a mutual friend serve as a mediator.  Would she listen to xclickx, Paul, or el gmac?

If this option does not get the cap returned, it's time to move on-with or without the cap.  It's unfortunate that things ended acrimoniously, but it would have been far worse to marry the wrong person!

No comments:

Post a Comment