Sunday, October 1, 2017

Cosby Sporting Goods



In 1982, on my first trip to Madison Square Garden in New York City, I had a life changing experience.

It wasn't the skyscrapers  that left the indelible memory.

It was a sporting goods store that had more baseball caps than I had ever seen.


 I don't have the caps that I bought that day.

What was the store?  Cosby's Sporting Goods.


Here are the only two Cosby caps that I have in my collection.



I believe they were made by the Devon Cap Company because of this emblem...


Every Cosby cap has this logo on the inside..as does every Devon cap that I own.

But who is Gerry Cosby?

I assumed that he played for the New York Rangers.

Wrong!!

The internet tells me he was an American hockey player who played goaltender for the 1933 World Champion Massachusetts Rangers.  He was a practice goaltender for the New York Rangers in the 1930's.

He founded his sporting goods company in the late 1930's and its headquarters was Madison Square Garden.

Mr. Cosby passed away in 1996.

No comments:

Post a Comment